NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Citigroup (C - Get Report) are up 0.49% to $47.65 in pre-market trade as the bank and and the Justice Department are reportedly near a deal that could cost the bank about $7 billion to settle a civil investigation into the sale of mortgage investments, sources told the New York Times.
The settlement, which is expected to be announced within the next week, caps months of negotiations that grew so tense in June that the Justice Department threatened to sue if the bank did not agree to the government's proposed penalty, the Times said.
The deal, which would be made up of a monetary penalty and relief for homeowners, would remove a huge legal obstacle that has been weighing on the bank's share price and casting a shadow over its future, the Times added.
- CITIGROUP INC reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CITIGROUP INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.25 versus $2.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.60 versus $4.25).
- 38.78% is the gross profit margin for CITIGROUP INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, C's net profit margin of 16.62% significantly trails the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Commercial Banks industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 3.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $3,808.00 million to $3,943.00 million.
- C, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.5%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: C Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts