5 Things Your Micro-Manager Boss Needs to Hear
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Nobody wants to go through their workday with a busybody peering constantly over their shoulder, but that's the lot of those working for a micro-manager.
You know the deal. They curb independent thinking, peddle minutiae while belittling big ideas and generally get in the way of productivity, likely damaging your career in the process.
And they're not rare. Menlo Park, Calif.-based Accountemps says 59% of workers complain that they've worked under a micro-manager at some point, with 68% saying working for a nitpicker "decreased their morale" and 55% saying the experience "hurt their productivity."
It all fairly begs the question: "Why would an employer or boss intentionally get in the way of employee enthusiasm and productivity?"
There's no good answer. "Bosses micromanage for many different reasons, but no matter how good their intentions, taking a heavy-handed approach typically hurts employee output, job satisfaction and, as a result, retention efforts," says Max Messmer, chairman of Accountemps. "Personally making sure every 'T' is crossed might help avoid some mistakes, but the costs associated with failing to trust your team can have a longer-term impact."Also see: 3 Things to Know About the Growth of a Freelance Nation Also see: 6 Steps to Make Your 'Career Dream' Real
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV