Programs administered by Northeast Utilities (NYSE: NU) and its operating companies saved customers enough energy last year to equal the output of a 500 MW power plant and prevented 30,000 tons of waste from being dumped into landfills.
These are just some of the accomplishments detailed in NU’s newly expanded “Responsible Energy” report. Completely revised, the report highlights hundreds of examples of sustainable practices, corporate responsibility and benefits generated for NU’s 3.6 million customers and other stakeholders.
“Our company-wide Responsible Energy report captures the many successes of our day-to-day business operations and the sustainable business practices all of our customers and employees can be proud of,” said Kathleen Freeman, NU Director of Environmental Affairs.
These include achievements in expanding renewable energy options, promoting energy efficiency, reducing the companies’ carbon footprint, improving the reliability of the energy infrastructure, and enhancements in the overall service experience for NU customers across Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.Among the benefits outlined in the report:
- Since 2009, NU has reduced its carbon footprint by cutting its total emissions by 35 percent.
- Customers participating in energy efficiency programs administered by NU’s operating companies saved nearly 828 gigawatt hours of power last year – or enough to serve all the power needs of NU’s 3.1 million electric customers for five days.
- Home improvements from these programs have also saved customers the equivalent of about 440,678,000 cubic feet of natural gas – or enough to serve heating and cooking needs of NU’s 484,000 gas customers for three and a half days.
- In Western Massachusetts, NU has built three solar generation sites utilizing capped landfills and other environmentally-challenged sites providing 8 MW of clean energy that can serve at least 6,000 homes.
- And when complete, the 1,200 MW of clean hydropower imported to New England by NU’s Northern Pass transmission line will lower CO2 emissions by up to 5 million tons annually, which is the equivalent of taking 900,000 cars off the road.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV