Buy-Rated Dividend Stocks: Top 3 Companies: LHO, ESV, WPC
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." LaSalle Hotel Properties (NYSE: LHO) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.20%. LaSalle Hotel Properties, a real estate investment trust (REIT), engages in the purchase, ownership, redevelopment, and leasing of primarily upscale and luxury full-service hotels in convention, resort, and urban business markets in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 49.76. The average volume for LaSalle Hotel Properties has been 852,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. LaSalle Hotel Properties has a market cap of $3.7 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 15.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. TheStreet Ratings rates LaSalle Hotel Properties as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- LHO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, LHO's share price has jumped by 46.01%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, LHO should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $23.12 million or 3.80% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, LASALLE HOTEL PROPERTIES's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 29.95%.
- LASALLE HOTEL PROPERTIES's earnings per share declined by 12.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LASALLE HOTEL PROPERTIES increased its bottom line by earning $0.73 versus $0.52 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.03 versus $0.73).
- You can view the full LaSalle Hotel Properties Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts