Still, risks exist, and they don't seem to be priced in.
What if Monsanto is wrong?
Monsanto seeds are coated with a neonicotinoid, chemically similar to the nicotine in cigarettes. Research at the University of Maryland has blamed neonicotinoids, in part, for the collapse of honey bee populations. Monsanto says it is researching solutions, pointing to Department of Agriculture statements saying the cause of bee colony collapse is complex.What if Monsanto is wrong? Pests adapt quickly to environmental changes. Some are adapting to Monsanto's GMO seeds and making a comeback. Monsanto is involved in an arms race with the creatures that prey on food crops. What if it loses? What if the pests adapt and all the bees die? There is popular resistance to Monsanto in France, in Hungary, across the Muslim world, even in Hawaii. Monsanto is fighting back and had a $7 million lobbying budget in 2013, along with a PAC that has spent almost $600,000 so far in this election cycle. One of the recipients of Monsanto's cash was former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor. What if money can no longer buy Washington's love? These seem like small risks. But they are risks. They don't seem reflected in either the stock's current price or analysts' expectations for it. I contacted Monsanto about these risks but received no comment by press time. At the time of publication the author owned shares of AAPL and AMZN. Follow @danablankenhorn This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Now let's look at TheStreet Ratings' take on this stock. TheStreet Ratings team rates MONSANTO CO as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate MONSANTO CO (MON) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 7.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- MON's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.22 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, MON has a quick ratio of 1.76, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for MONSANTO CO is rather high; currently it is at 58.96%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 20.18% is above that of the industry average.
- MONSANTO CO' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MONSANTO CO increased its bottom line by earning $4.56 versus $3.78 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.22 versus $4.56).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Chemicals industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, MONSANTO CO has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MON Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV