But is the move in these stocks over, or is there more to come?
Intermodal units, rail cars that become truck loads at their destination, are also up almost 6%, indicating a growing economy. This provides further lift to the rail sector. According to the AAR, Canadian rail traffic is up only 2.4% against a year ago, while total traffic within the U.S. is up 4.5%. Mexico traffic is up only 2.2% so far this year, against a year ago.
It is the U.S. rail market that is powering ahead most rapidly. We've seen oil tied to rail traffic before, a long time ago. Back in the 1870s, before the Tidewater pipeline was able to move product from the west Pennsylvania oil fields to coastal refineries, rail was the main way oil went to market. Many new fields today are far beyond the reach of current pipelines, which can cost many years to approve and build. So rail is being relied upon again. Much of Union Pacific's value to the play lies in north-south routes that can take crude to Gulf Coast refineries, and oilfield equipment, north. But some of those operations are vulnerable to pipeline competition -- the Seaway pipeline from Oklahoma to Houston was reversed in 2012 and its capacity is now being doubled by construction of a twin line. This will provide competition to Union Pacific in that part of its network.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV