The firm said it lowered its rating on the retail chain based on the risks Bank of America/Merrill Lynch could see due to the company's modest store traffic trends and the continuing sales pressure from its online competition.
Bank of America cut its price target on the stock to $51 from $63.
Shares of Bed Bath and Beyond are up 0.91% to $59.89 in pre-market trading on Monday.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates BED BATH & BEYOND INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate BED BATH & BEYOND INC (BBBY) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- BBBY's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, BED BATH & BEYOND INC's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- BED BATH & BEYOND INC reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BED BATH & BEYOND INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.81 versus $4.58 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.96 versus $4.81).
- 38.80% is the gross profit margin for BED BATH & BEYOND INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of BBBY's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 7.04% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BBBY Ratings Report