Ford Motor Company is building on a century-long commitment to supporting the African American community with a $1 million donation to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture.
The donation from Ford Motor Company Fund, the company’s philanthropic arm, will support the museum’s capital campaign. It will also go toward funding key programs when the museum – the only national site devoted exclusively to documenting African American life, art, history and culture – opens on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. in 2016.
“Since Henry Ford’s groundbreaking $5 a day wage in 1913, which paid people equally regardless of race, Ford has invested in programs that empower and celebrate the African American community,” said Jim Vella, president, Ford Motor Company Fund and Community Services. “Ford is proud to work with the Smithsonian on this museum that will recognize the tremendous contributions of African Americans to our country and our world.”
Ford and the Smithsonian Institution jointly made the announcement today at the 20 th anniversary of the ESSENCE Festival in New Orleans. Follow the social conversation at #fordgivesback.Ford’s relationship with the Smithsonian dates back 40 years, with the company donating more than $11.5 million to support exhibits and programs that provide educational opportunities for families:
- Ford Fund supported the Smithsonian Freedom’s Sisters, which celebrated 20 African American women who fought for equality for all Americans and traveled to 12 cities from 2007 to 2012
- In 2013, Ford Fund worked with the Smithsonian American History Museum to expand its Spark!Lab to three museums across the country. Designed to look and feel like an inventor’s workshop, these spaces challenge children to create, experiment and invent in interactive innovation workshops
- Ford Fund currently supports the museum’s American Sabor exhibit that explores the influence of Latino musicians in America and is traveling to 13 cities through 2015
- Ford Fund also is investing in conservation research for the giant panda at the National Zoo, including the popular Panda Cam, which allows visitors from around the world to view the newest panda cub online
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts