CHARLOTTE, N.C., July 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 800 Duke Energy line technicians and other specialists are working today to restore power to customers who lost power last night and early today after Hurricane Arthur barreled up the North Carolina coast.
The company expects to restore electricity by late today in most areas, except hardest-hit Morehead City where restoration work will not be completed until late Saturday.
As of 12 p.m. (EDT) today, approximately 6,000 Duke Energy customers were without electricity.
A total of 83,400 customers lost power at some point during the storm.The highest number of outages at any single point during the storm was 22,000 at 11 p.m. Thursday. Duke Energy staged crews in strategic locations in advance of the storm, ensuring a rapid restoration response overnight and into today as weather conditions allowed. "For the most part, we dodged a bullet," said John Smith, vice president of distribution maintenance and construction for Duke Energy Carolinas. "Fortunately, the hurricane delivered no more than a glancing blow to our electricity delivery system. We thank our customers for their patience as we work to restore power so customers can enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend." Duke Energy uses a restoration process that returns power to the largest number of customers as safely, quickly and efficiently as possible. Top priorities include: health and safety facilities such as hospitals, police stations, emergency operations centers, fire departments, water treatment facilities and water pumping stations. The following infographic explains the process: http://www.duke-energy.com/pdfs/How-Duke-Energy-Restores-Power.pdf Restoration Times Customers who are without power can get up-to-date restoration times by calling the company's automated outage-reporting system -- 800-419-6356.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV