COLUMBUS, Ga., July 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Paul S. Amos, who with his two brothers founded Aflac Incorporated nearly six decades ago, passed away late Wednesday night after a lengthy illness. He was 88 years old.
Amos, who continued to make daily visits to Aflac's offices in Columbus, Ga., and served as Chairman Emeritus, was beloved by the insurer's more than 8,000 employees and 185,000 agents worldwide. He was known affectionately throughout the company as "Mr. Paul."
Amos was raised in Enterprise, Ala. and Milton, Fla. He and his wife, the former Jean Roberts, met in church when she was just 17 years old and celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary in October of last year. The couple's only child, Daniel P. Amos, is Aflac's current chairman and CEO.
During his long tenure at Aflac, Mr. Amos held numerous positions, both at corporate headquarters and as a hands-on member of the sales force. He served as state sales manager for Alabama/ West Florida, first vice president/director of marketing, president, vice chairman and chairman. Although he retired in 2001, he remained a familiar figure at Aflac and loved to be among the employees and sales team members who continued the company's legacy.Amos' contributions to Aflac are too numerous to mention, but among his greatest achievements was introducing the concept of "worksite marketing," in which products are sold directly to employees at companies through payroll deductions. Today, policies sold at worksites throughout the nation account for 97 percent of Aflac U.S. sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV