Trade-Ideas: Molycorp (MCP) Is Today's "Dead Cat Bounce" Stock
- MCP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $15.8 million.
- MCP has traded 1.4 million shares today.
- MCP is up 3.4% today.
- MCP was down 8.9% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MCP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MCP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MCP: Molycorp, Inc. produces and sells rare earths and rare metal materials in the United States and internationally. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Molycorp a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Molycorp has been 5.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Molycorp has a market cap of $628.9 million and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of 2.36 and a short float of 38.1% with 10.34 days to cover. Shares are down 58.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Molycorp as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, generally high debt management risk, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 120.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$38.97 million to -$86.06 million.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 53.51%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 48.14% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.10 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, MCP has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 2.06, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$45.79 million or 25.00% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow MOLYCORP INC is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -37.28%.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, MOLYCORP INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Molycorp Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.