NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Platinum futures haven broken above $1,500 for the first time this year, putting the spotlight on shares of platinum mining company Stillwater Mining (SWC) as an investment worthy to consider.
The spike in platinum futures this week, also represented by ETFS Physical Platinum Shares (PPLT), is in part the result of strong U.S. auto sales as well as labor strife in mines in South Africa.
U.S. June auto sales lifted the metal by reaching levels that hadn't been seen since before the financial crisis.Why This Will Be America's Most Expensive Indepedence Day Ever Exxon Mobil Goes Where Few Oil Giants Want to Tread Cramer: Good Companies Are Horrible Shorts June sales rose 1.2%, beating expectations of a 3% decline. Seasonally adjusted annualized sales hit 16.98 million vehicles, the highest since July 2006, according to industry consultant Autodata Corp. Platinum is tied to car sales because it is used in catalytic converters, which are in the exhaust systems of most cars. Catalytic converters combine carbon monoxide and unburned fuel from a car's exhaust to control pollution.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV