EDEN, N.C., July 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Duke Energy has completed the cleanup of a coal ash deposit and river sediment at a site approximately two miles down river from the Dan River Steam Station.
The location is where Town Creek meets the Dan River. The coal ash and sediment had accumulated on a sand bar.
Crews excavated 258 tons of the material from the site over the last week. The removed material was taken to a landfill in Person County, N.C., where coal ash and sediment from previous removal operations has been taken. The landfill is permitted to accept this type of material. It is double-lined with groundwater monitoring.
Operations also continue near the Schoolfield Dam in Danville, Va. Crews there have removed more than 2,000 tons of coal ash and river sediment since operations began on May 6. Dredging at the site, adjacent to Abreu-Grogan Park, is scheduled to be completed this month. After that, demobilization and restoration activities at the park are expected to take several weeks.All operations are under the direction of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and are being conducted in conjunction with state and other federal agencies. Photos of the Town Creek operation are available at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeenergy/sets/72157645482599305/ To learn more about cleanup operations along the Dan River, visit www.duke-energy.com/dan-river. Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Duke Energy is a Fortune 250 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DUK. More information about the company is available at: www.duke-energy.com. 24-hour media line: 800.559.3853
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV