3 Telecommunications Stocks Moving The Industry Upward
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The three major indices are trading lower today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) trading up 13 points (0.1%) at 16,969 as of Wednesday, July 2, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,178 issues advancing vs. 1,877 declining with 123 unchanged.The Telecommunications industry as a whole was unchanged today versus the S&P 500, which was unchanged. Top gainers within the Telecommunications industry included Ambient (AMBT), up 4.0%, RIT Technologies (RITT), up 6.7%, Iteris (ITI), up 2.9%, Ikanos Communications (IKAN), up 1.9% and WPCS International (WPCS), up 9.5%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today:Iteris (ITI) is one of the companies that pushed the Telecommunications industry higher today. Iteris was up $0.05 (2.9%) to $1.75 on light volume. Throughout the day, 29,026 shares of Iteris exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 52,400 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $1.73-$1.79 after having opened the day at $1.73 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.70. Iteris, Inc. provides intelligent transportation systems solutions to the traffic management market worldwide. Iteris has a market cap of $55.7 million and is part of the technology sector. Shares are down 19.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Iteris a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Iteris as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and weak operating cash flow.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on ITI go as follows:
- ITI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 8.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 18.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- ITI has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.72, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- ITERIS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. However, the consensus estimates suggest that there will be an upward trend in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ITERIS INC's EPS of $0.03 remained unchanged from the prior years' EPS of $0.03. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.06 versus $0.03).
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$0.84 million or 23.88% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- In its most recent trading session, ITI has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV