In a research note BB&T analyst Garrett Nelson called Stillwater Mining an attractive takeover target. Nelson cited a favorable cash position, geopolitical footprint, and an improving cost curve. The analyst noted that Stillwater Mining management is confident it will reach its cost-cutting goal of $100 an ounce in the next 18 months.
Must read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.37, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 6.20, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 68.76% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Although SWC had significant growth over the past year, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock at the current time.
- STILLWATER MINING CO has improved earnings per share by 25.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, STILLWATER MINING CO swung to a loss, reporting -$2.26 versus $0.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.57 versus -$2.26).
- The gross profit margin for STILLWATER MINING CO is rather low; currently it is at 23.19%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 8.91% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $4.77 million or 69.26% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SWC Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts