NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold
(FCX) shares are up 2.6% to $37.83 on Wednesday after the company confirmed that its CEO Richard Adkerson was still in Jakarta, Indonesia negotiating with the government in the hopes of avoiding international arbitration over a copper export dispute.
The company stopped copper production in January after the government introduced an export tax, among other new mining rules, in an effort to spur the miner to build processing plants in the country.
Global copper prices are near a four month high due in part to the Indonesian stoppage and Freeport Indonesia CEO Rozik Soetjipto told Reuters that the talks to resolve the issue were still ongoing.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates FREEPORT-MCMORAN COP&GOLD as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate FREEPORT-MCMORAN COP&GOLD (FCX) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, generally higher debt management risk and disappointing return on equity."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- FCX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, FCX's share price has jumped by 32.96%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- 45.90% is the gross profit margin for FREEPORT-MCMORAN COP&GOLD which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 10.23% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, FREEPORT-MCMORAN COP&GOLD's return on equity has significantly outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has decreased by 21.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $648.00 million to $510.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FCX Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV