NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Today I will share with you four reasons why the market is reaching the top and two simple things you can do to improve your investing results by applying them right now. They're not complicated or difficult, or at least they shouldn't be. They're the same strategies market makers have used since the beginning of the exchanges and continue to use today.
To begin, let's examine the current market landscape we find ourselves. The Dow Jones Industrial average is near the cusp of 17,000. The Dow Jones
(DIA) is widely followed by retail traders, so I'm referencing it, but most professionals gauge the market using the S&P 500. In particular, I follow the S&P 500 through the SPDR S&P 500 ETF
The SPY is on the verge of plateauing, and it's time to take profits off the table. The market continuously cycles through 13 distinct emotions and I believe we are entering the euphoria stage. It's a market stage where investors firmly think the market will appreciate forever. Here's why you want to remain cautious when others have no fear.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV