NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Today I will share with you four reasons why the market is reaching the top and two simple things you can do to improve your investing results by applying them right now. They're not complicated or difficult, or at least they shouldn't be. They're the same strategies market makers have used since the beginning of the exchanges and continue to use today.
To begin, let's examine the current market landscape we find ourselves. The Dow Jones Industrial average is near the cusp of 17,000. The Dow Jones (DIA) is widely followed by retail traders, so I'm referencing it, but most professionals gauge the market using the S&P 500. In particular, I follow the S&P 500 through the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY).
The SPY is on the verge of plateauing, and it's time to take profits off the table. The market continuously cycles through 13 distinct emotions and I believe we are entering the euphoria stage. It's a market stage where investors firmly think the market will appreciate forever. Here's why you want to remain cautious when others have no fear.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV