Shutterfly, an online photo company that allows users to create and order photobooks as well as print photos onto items like mugs, iPad cases and more, is speculated to be in early talks regarding a possible transaction.
The company hired Qatalyst Partners, a boutique investment bank, to help find buyers, sources told Bloomberg.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates SHUTTERFLY INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SHUTTERFLY INC (SFLY) a SELL. This is driven by a number of negative factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- SHUTTERFLY INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SHUTTERFLY INC reported lower earnings of $0.19 versus $0.55 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 210.5% in earnings (-$0.21 versus $0.19).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet & Catalog Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 175.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$12.41 million to -$34.21 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Internet & Catalog Retail industry and the overall market, SHUTTERFLY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$97.47 million or 16.72% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The share price of SHUTTERFLY INC has not done very well: it is down 24.37% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SFLY Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV