NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Amazon.com (AMZN - Get Report) are gaining 2.35% to $332.40 in late-afternoon trading on Tuesday after the company announced the availability of T2 instances, a new Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud designed to reduce costs for applications that don't require sustained high CPU performance.
The T2 instances are the lowest-costing Amazon EC2 options and are ideal for web servers, developers, and small data bases, the company said.
T2 also gives customers high-performance storage options when paired with the Amazon Elastic Book Store.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, Amazon may also be seeing a boost from a BookStats report which states the bulk of book sales in 2013 where made online, the report estimates U.S. book publishers earned $7.45 billion from the sale of online books and e-books, compared to $7.12 billion from physical sales. TheStreet Ratings team rates AMAZON.COM INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate AMAZON.COM INC (AMZN) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and increase in stock price during the past year. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including weak operating cash flow and poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 4.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 22.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- AMAZON.COM INC has improved earnings per share by 27.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, AMAZON.COM INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.58 versus -$0.10 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.05 versus $0.58).
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. We feel that the combination of its price rise over the last year and its current price-to-earnings ratio relative to its industry tend to reduce its upside potential.
- The gross profit margin for AMAZON.COM INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 33.92%. Regardless of AMZN's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 0.54% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to -$2,502.00 million or 5.48% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AMZN Ratings Report