The company has already started construction work at the first four trains at Sabine Pass. For Corpus Christi, Cheniere is signing contracts as it waits for the regulatory approval.
Ideally, Cheniere expects the first two trains at Sabine Pass to begin operations next year, which will be followed by the start up of train-3 and train-4 in 2016. The final two trains at Sabine Pass, train-5 and train-6, as well as train-1 at Corpus Christi, will start working from as early as 2018.
Since Cheniere's core projects are still under development, the company has not shown its true potential. Over the last year, the company has earned less than $70 million in quarterly revenues and has consistently reported operating losses. This, however, can change next year when it begins commercial operations at Sabine Pass.
The company has been looking to secure financing for Corpus Christi and for this, it needs buyers, like Woodside, who are willing to sign long-term supply contracts.Earlier in June, Cheniere signed a 20-year deal with Spain's Gas Natural Fenosa to supply1.5 million tons of gas per year from the train-2 at Corpus Christi. Cheniere's deal with Gas Natural Fenosa is reportedly valued at $13 billion. The Fenosa agreement was announced just a couple of days after the Cheniere signed a $5.6 billion, 20-year deal with Spanish power company Iberdrola (IBDRY) for the supply of 400,000 and 800,000 tons per year of LNG from train-1 and train-2 respectively from Corpus Christi. Several other companies, such as Exxon Mobil (XOM), Kinder Morgan (KMI) Kinder Morgan Energy Partners (KMP) and Dominion Resources (D), are also planning to construct LNG export terminals. However, it will be several years before any of their proposed projects can begin commercial operations. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. TheStreet Ratings team rates CHENIERE ENERGY INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CHENIERE ENERGY INC (LNG) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally higher debt management risk."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- LNG's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 144.97% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- CHENIERE ENERGY INC has improved earnings per share by 18.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CHENIERE ENERGY INC reported poor results of -$2.32 versus -$1.82 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$1.22 versus -$2.32).
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CHENIERE ENERGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$18.22 million or 37.82% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LNG Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV