NORTHBROOK, Ill., July 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Millions of Americans will hit the road this Independence Day for family parties, barbecues, and celebrations, but for many travelers this upcoming weekend, it may end in heartbreak. According to research from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), July 4 continues to be the deadliest day on the road for all Americans.
In the U.S., car crashes are the number one cause of death for everyone ages 1-34, with teens crashing four times more often than any other age group. Based on the latest available data, IIHS reports that more than 630 people were killed on July 4 from 2008-2012. If this trend continues, on average, 127 people will lose their lives in a car crash on July 4.
Allstate asks all Americans to do their part to make roads safer for all families during the Independence Day holiday. Here are three simple ways to have a safe holiday on the road:
- Don't drive under the influence. If you consume alcohol during your 4 th of July festivities, have a plan for getting home safely. As The National Safety Commission shares, everyone has options:
- Designate a sober driver – give that person your keys.
- Call a taxi or use public transportation.
- Use your community's designated driver service.
- Get your rest. According to conservative estimates by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, driving while drowsy results in 100,000 police-reported crashes each year. Don't allow holiday fun to cut short the amount of time you dedicate to resting, especially before you drive to or from a celebration.
- Never text or drive distracted. All drivers can pledge not to text and drive, and help reduce distracted driving deaths and injuries. Parents and teens can take a pledge together at www.facebook.com/XtheTXT
For teens, July 4 continues to be one of the deadliest days on the road and is tied with two other summer days for fatal car crashes. The summer months are particularly deadly for this population mostly because school is out and more miles are being driven.Allstate recently launched a unique tool to help parents keep their teens safer on the road.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts