What To Hold: 3 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks CM, TEF, PEI
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (NYSE: CM) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.10%. Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, a diversified financial institution, provides various financial products and services to individuals, small businesses, and commercial, corporate, and institutional clients in Canada and internationally. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.66. The average volume for Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce has been 147,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce has a market cap of $36.2 billion and is part of the banking industry. Shares are up 6.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. TheStreet Ratings rates Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for CANADIAN IMPERIAL BANK is currently very high, coming in at 72.28%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, CM's net profit margin of 7.76% significantly trails the industry average.
- CM's share price has surged by 25.48% over the past year, reflecting the market's general trend, despite their weak earnings growth during the last quarter. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 2.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 63.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $860.00 million to $317.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$2,201.00 million or 1036.59% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.