GREENVILLE, S.C., July 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Higher fuel costs caused by the extreme weather conditions associated with this winter's polar vortex contributed to a slight increase in the fuel component of rates for Duke Energy Progress customers in South Carolina.
Residential customers will also see a decrease in the charge for implementing energy efficiency programs that help customers save energy and money.
As approved by the Public Service Commission of South Carolina, beginning today a typical residential customer using 1,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity per month would see a bill increase of $0.14, from $104.88 to $105.02, or about 0.1 percent. This total includes an increase of $0.22 per month in the residential fuel charge, and a decrease in the residential demand-side management/energy efficiency (DSM/EE) charge of $0.08.
Commercial customers will see an overall increase of 2.8 percent and industrial customers will see a 1.2 percent increase.By law, the company makes no profit from the fuel component of rates. Duke Energy Progress works to actively manage its fuel contracts and leverage the benefits of the merger between Duke Energy and Progress Energy to keep fuel costs as low as possible for customers. Duke Energy Progress makes a fuel cost-recovery filing annually in South Carolina. The fuel rate is based on the projected cost of fuel used to provide electric service to the company's customers, plus a true up of the prior year's projection. The Public Service Commission reviews fuel costs and adjusts the fuel component of customer rates accordingly. Duke Energy Progress also files annual adjustments to the DSM/EE portion of customer bills. The DSM/EE charge covers a portion of the cost of implementing energy efficiency programs and providing incentives to help customers take control of their energy usage and save money. The charge is reviewed annually by the Public Service Commission.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV