NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Symantec Corp. (SYMC - Get Report) are lower by -0.70% to $22.74 in early trading today after Finjan Holdings Inc. (FNJN) announced its subsidiary Finjan Inc. filed a patent infringement lawsuit against the company.
Symantec, a security software services company, is accused by the holding company's web and network security segment of infringing on five of Finjan's patents.
The complaint was filed on Monday in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, and says Finjan is seeking an undisclosed amount in damages from Symantec.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- SYMANTEC CORP has improved earnings per share by 14.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SYMANTEC CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.27 versus $1.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.88 versus $1.27).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, SYMANTEC CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for SYMANTEC CORP is currently very high, coming in at 88.18%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, SYMC's net profit margin of 13.15% significantly trails the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Software industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 14.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $190.00 million to $217.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SYMC Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts