- Hurricane Season: While Atlantic hurricane season typically stretches from June 1 – November 30, particularly good deals abound for sailings during its height (mid-August to mid-October). There are considerations to keep in mind – itineraries may change as ships re-navigate to avoid storms – but a majority of cruisers are unfazed by potential hurricane-related issues, with 73% reporting* to Cruise Critic that they would sail during hurricane season, or are already booked to this year.
- A Year Out (or More): Travelers may just be setting out for this year's summer vacation, but it's not too soon to book next year's cruise. As sailings are announced – usually a year or more out – cruise lines tend to offer a number of added-value promotions. This includes anything from drink packages to gratuity or airfare – all added costs that cruisers will usually end up paying anyway, and could save hundreds of dollars.
- Last-Minute: The final payment for a cruise is usually 90 days out. At that time, cabins that have not been paid in full may be released, giving cruise lines a better idea of the occupancy that they have left to fill – which often means deeply discounted fares for potential cruisers. A listing of such deals can be found on Cruise Critic under Last-Minute Cruises.
- Off-Season: Each destination has its own high and low seasons – with cruise fares following suit. By booking a cruise during a destination's low-season, cruisers may have the option to visit their destination of choice at a much lower cost than offered during high-season – and without the crowds. Examples of low-seasons include Alaska in May and September, the Caribbean in late spring or winter (holiday weeks, excluded) or the Mediterranean in the fall.
- Industry-Wide Sales: Two of the biggest industry-wide cruise sales are held in October and January-March. The cruise industry's national cruise week will be held October 6-13, 2014 in North America, with cruise lines and agents offering a wide range of promotions. "Wave Season," beginning in January, is an annual period of three months where cruise lines offer special promotions during one of the more popular times for cruise shopping to begin.
Don't Miss Out: The 5 Best Times To Score A Cruise Deal
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.