NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Hillshire Brands Co.
(HSH) are up 0.48% to $62.60 in after-hours trading on Monday as Pinnacle Foods Inc.
(PF) officially announced it is terminating its merger agreement with the company.
Hillshire's board has already provided a written notice to the board of Pinnacle Foods stating its intention to withdraw the pending deal.
Pinnacle, on its part, had not proposed any changes to the deal to make the merger more lucrative than Tyson Food's (TSN) competing offer.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates HILLSHIRE BRANDS CO as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate HILLSHIRE BRANDS CO (HSH) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed, some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, generally higher debt management risk and premium valuation." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- HSH's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market, HILLSHIRE BRANDS CO's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, HSH's share price has jumped by 89.14%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Setting our sights on the months ahead, however, we feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The implication is that its reduced upside potential is not good enough to warrant further investment at this time.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Food Products industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 54.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $93.00 million to $42.00 million.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.57 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, HSH maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.81, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HSH Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.