NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stone Energy Corp. (SGY) closed higher by 2.21% to $46.79 after announcing today it will sell its non-core Gulf of Mexico conventional shelf properties to the privately held Talos Energy Offshore LLC for $200 million in cash and assumed future undiscounted abandonment liabilities estimated at $117 million.
After selling the non-core shelf properties the company will focus its efforts on its "Gulf of Mexico deep water, gulf coast deep gas, and Appalachian projects, which we have targeted for growth," Stone Energy CEO David Welch said.
The deal is expected to close in early August 2014.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates STONE ENERGY CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate STONE ENERGY CORP (SGY) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels, solid stock price performance and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat weak growth in earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, SGY's share price has jumped by 108.18%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The gross profit margin for STONE ENERGY CORP is rather high; currently it is at 69.47%. Regardless of SGY's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SGY's net profit margin of 11.62% compares favorably to the industry average.
- SGY, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 3.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.05 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, SGY's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.07, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SGY Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV