MEBANE, N.C., June 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The millions of California homeowners with non-working and outdated battery-powered smoke alarms will have safer alternatives that require less maintenance under a law that takes effect tomorrow.
Starting July 1, any battery-powered smoke alarm or combination (smoke and carbon monoxide) alarm approved for sale by the state fire marshal must be powered by a sealed, 10-year battery. Kidde Worry-Free smoke and combination alarms comply with the new law and are available throughout the state. Kidde Fire Safety, a leading manufacturer of residential fire safety products, is a part of UTC Building & Industrial Systems, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
A recent survey conducted by Qualtrics on behalf of Kidde found 66 percent of California homes have battery-powered smoke alarms. Nearly one-third of those surveyed who have lived in their homes for at least a decade have smoke alarms that are over 10 years old. The state fire marshal and national fire organizations like the National Fire Protection Association recommend replacing smoke alarms every 10 years, yet 41 percent of respondents didn't think they needed to do so.
"A sealed tamper-proof alarm makes sense, saves lives and saves money over the life of the alarm – and now it's the law," says Katie Smith, director of Safe Kids California, a nonprofit coalition dedicated to eliminating preventable childhood injuries. "This is great news for California homeowners and especially the children in our state who all too often are killed or injured in home fires."The NFPA reports two-thirds of all home fires occur in homes without a smoke alarm or with one that isn't working — mainly due to dead or missing batteries. A long-life battery sealed inside an alarm makes it virtually tamper-proof and eliminates the risk associated with disabling the alarm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV