By Chris Lau for Kapitall.
Volatility is rife for companies in the fuel cell sector. This implies investors with a low tolerance for risk should avoid fuel cell companies. For those willing to venture into this space, there are three companies to watch.
Ballard Power ( BLDP) won a deal with Azure Hydrogen that is worth $6 million. This will boost Ballard’s growth in the Chinese market. The firm will supply fuel cell stacks and fuel processors. The deal also lets Ballard monetize its intellectual property.
Bearishness in Ballard’s stock is high. The short float is 8.75%, and is one of the reasons for the volatility in its shares.The release of Hyundai’s first hydrogen fuel cell powered SUV should boost awareness of hydrogen cell suppliers. FuelCell Energy ( FCEL) is another play for investors in the fuel cell market. Shares peaked on March 10th, but are trying to make a comeback. FuelCell won a deal to supply a 1.4 MW fuel cell power plant for the University of California. Fundamentally, FuelCell still has many challenges. Its last quarter missed expectations as losses and expenses went up. Even though revenue fell overall by 10% thanks to weaker product sales, service and license revenue improved. Backlog also improved to $342.8 million, compared to $326.9 million from the previous quarter. Plug Power ( PLUG) Profitability eludes Plug Power at this time. Last quarter, the firm reported a loss. On the positive side of things, bookings doubled over the previous year to $80 million. Plug Power expects to ship over 650 GenDrive units in the current quarter. It also aims to generate revenue above $70 million this fiscal year. If Plug is profitable by the end of this year, short sellers (the stock has a short float of 22.66%) could get squeezed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV