NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of CBS Corp.
(CBS - Get Report) are up 1.26% to $62.00 in pre-market trading on Monday after Aereo said it will "pause operations" after it was ruled in violation of U.S. copyright law by the Supreme Court last week.
Aereo leases digital antennas to subscribers to access and record broadcast television streams, and CBS is one of various broadcasters who argued that Aereo was illegally airing its content.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CBS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CBS CORP (CBS) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, notable return on equity and reasonable valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 27.99% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CBS should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- CBS CORP has improved earnings per share by 6.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CBS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.01 versus $2.48 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.49 versus $3.01).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Media industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 5.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $443.00 million to $468.00 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, CBS CORP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CBS Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts