OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of 6,000 July 26 calls Monday, most of which priced for 40 cents, well above the previous open interest of just 628 contracts. There was also heavy volume in the July 25 calls.
Long calls lock in the price where a stock can be purchased, letting investors cheaply position for a rally. They can generate significant leverage if shares move in the right direction but can also quickly lose value on a pullback.
CenterPoint rose 0.71% to $25.54 on Monday and has been breaking out of a price triangle on its chart in recent sessions. Traders already more than doubled their money in the July 25 calls two weeks ago.Other names in the sector such as Consolidated Edison (ED), Southern (SO), and NextEra Energy (NEE) have also been active in the last month as investors return to utilities. Monday's total option volume in CNP was triple its daily average for the last month, with overall calls outnumbering puts by more than 300 to 1. Russell is long SO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV