Rogers Submits Comments to CRTC, Supports Giving Consumers More Choice and Flexibility
TORONTO, June 27, 2014 /CNW/ - Rogers Communications today submitted its comments to the CRTC's Let's Talk TV consultation. Canadians want more choice and flexibility and that's why Rogers is advocating for more flexible packaging and channel selection options for consumers.
"Our customers want more TV choice, and we want to deliver it," said Ken Engelhart, senior vice-president, Regulatory, Rogers Communications. "Our comments build on the CRTC's proposed changes and provide a way forward to give consumers more choice, while protecting Canadian jobs in the cultural sector and ensuring the availability of programming that reflects our diverse society."
Rogers shares the CRTC's goal of more choice. TV providers should offer their customers new flexible packaging options that are based on what their customers actually want to watch. This will give customers more control over their TV experience, while continuing to have access to a wide range of specialty and pay TV channels. It will also contribute to the health of the production sector and enable the creation of compelling shows Canadians love to watch."Delivering more choice for customers depends on the CRTC banning unreasonable contracts that prevent TV providers from offering channels on a pick and pay basis," added Engelhart. "The CRTC is taking a look at this barrier to choice and we're confident they'll do the right thing for consumers." Rogers has been working hard to give customers more TV choice:
- In 2011, Rogers rolled out a flexible packaging trial in London, Ontario to over 1000 customers. The findings reveal that Canadians prefer channel bundles but also want the option to build their own packages.
- A recent CRTC report says Rogers has developed the most flexible options for consumers among all of the cable and satellite providers they looked at in North America.
- Rogers customers can select services through a pick-pack model, creating their own packages from a pre-set group of over 80 specialty channels. Customers can also choose the specific services they want to receive on an a la carte basis from a group of over 200 channels.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts