WHAT'S NEW: VeriSign's domain name growth appears to be falling a bit lower than the midpoint of second quarter expectations and competition from new gTLDs could be influencing overall growth to some degree, Wells Fargo analyst Gray Powell wrote. Generic top-level domains, or gTLDs, are one of the categories of top-level domains maintained by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority for use in the Domain Name System of the Internet. The company is tracking toward about 400K domain name additions in the upcoming quarter, which is lower than the 550K guidance midpoint, said the analyst, citing ICANN zone files. The analyst also noted that other domain names that will possibly be more popular haven't yet been launched. He downgraded the stock to Market Perform from Outperform and lowered his price target range on the shares to $51-$55 from $56-$60.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: Powell noted that Google's (GOOG) recently announced domain program could be a good thing for VeriSign, as small businesses buy more .com and .net web domains. However, the analyst said that if Google sells higher profile domains at larger discounts or gives them away for free, it could result in more competition to VeriSign's .com and .net domains starting late next year.
PRICE ACTION: In afternoon trading, VeriSign fell $1.53 or 3%, to $49.20.Reporting by Gina Gioldassis
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV