5 Tips on Profiting From a Summer Vacation Rental
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Sales of second homes are up -- way up -- as vacation homebuyers look to profit from what they see as an improving U.S. economy.
Last year, vacation home sales rose by 29.7%, mostly from affluent buyers looking either for a second home to live in or rent out.
"Growth in the equity markets has greatly benefited high-net-worth households, thereby providing the wherewithal and confidence to purchase recreational property," says Lawrence Yun, chief economist at the National Association of Realtors. "However, vacation-home sales are still about one-third below the peak activity seen in 2006."
What Yun doesn't say is that mortgage rates continue to be low relative to historical terms, giving buyers another good reason to invest in a home rental property. Thirty-year fixed mortgage rates fell again this week, to 4.26% from 4.29%, according to BankingMyWay.com.Also see: 6 Ways to Keep Your Home Safe This Summer Also see: Real Estate Watchers Can Get Excited for Second Half of 2014
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV