NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Nike (NKE) rose in after-hours trading on Thursday after the apparel and footwear maker reported fourth-quarter results that surpassed analysts' expectations thanks to strong sales in North America and Western Europe.
The company's net income from continuing operations increased to $698 million, or 78 cents a share, in the quarter ended May 31, up from $690 million, or 76 cents a share, in the same period one year earlier.
Revenue from continuing operations increased 13% to $7.43 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected Nike to report earnings of 75 cents a share on $7.34 billion in revenue. The stock was up 2.52% to $78.80 at 4:44 p.m. Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates NIKE INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate NIKE INC (NKE) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 14.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- NKE's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.12 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, NKE has a quick ratio of 2.12, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Textiles, Apparel & Luxury Goods industry and the overall market, NIKE INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 46.40% is the gross profit margin for NIKE INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 9.82% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NKE Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV