Two specialty retailers recently reported earnings, Lululemon (LULU) and Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY). Bed Bath & Beyond reported Wednesday after the close. Both companies disappointed investors and both experienced margin pressure, but only one, Lululemon, is a buy because, among other reasons, it is a potential takeover target.
Here's why it's time to cut Bed Bath & Beyond loose and use the capital to buy Lululemon (or another appropriate stock) for your portfolio. I'll explain why using Whole Foods Market (WFM), another retailer, albeit in food, as a road map investors can use to anticipate the trajectory of Bed Bath & Beyond's stock.At first glance, the similarities between Whole Foods and Bed Bath & Beyond may not be readily apparent because two entirely different products are sold, and the only commonality is food bought at Whole Foods can be prepared using Bed Bath & Beyond kitchenware. However, if you look at the two companies through the eyes of Sears, Walmart, and Target, the only difference between the products sold at Whole Foods and Bed Bath & Beyond is the SKU number. Sears/Kmart, Walmart and Target sell everything from avocados to zero-turn lawnmowers. The big three retailers are in a constant state of inquiry to find products -- almost any products -- with higher margins to replace lower-margin items.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV