NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Schnitzer Steel Industries (SCHN) are up 4.62% to $26.26 after it reported adjusted earnings of 16 cents a share in the third quarter ended May 31, compared to adjusted earnings of 9 cents a share in the period a year ago.
On average, analysts polled by Thomson Reuters estimated 8 cents a share for the quarter.
But total revenue for the third quarter fell to $637 million versus $710 million in the period a year ago. Analysts had expected revenue of $650.16 million.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Schnitzer Steel noted higher car volumes in its auto parts and steel manufacturing business which helped offset the impact of weaker commodity prices.TheStreet Ratings team rates SCHNITZER STEEL INDS as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SCHNITZER STEEL INDS (SCHN) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its good cash flow from operations, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in stock price during the past year. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $19.86 million or 26.15% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SCHNITZER STEEL INDS has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -37.47%.
- SCHN, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 4.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, SCHNITZER STEEL INDS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for SCHNITZER STEEL INDS is currently extremely low, coming in at 11.98%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 0.28% significantly trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SCHN Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV