Philip Morris International (PM) Is Today's Pre-Market Laggard Stock
- PM has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $453.0 million.
- PM traded 20,885 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 9:23 AM.
- PM is down 2.7% today from yesterday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PM with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PM NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on PM: Philip Morris International Inc., through its subsidiaries, manufactures and sells cigarettes and other tobacco products. The company's portfolio of brands include Marlboro, Merit, Parliament, Virginia Slims, L&M, Chesterfield, Bond Street, Lark, Muratti, Next, Philip Morris, and Red & White. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4.2%. PM has a PE ratio of 17.5. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Philip Morris International a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Philip Morris International has been 4.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Philip Morris International has a market cap of $143.4 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and tobacco industry. The stock has a beta of 0.96 and a short float of 0.7% with 2.21 days to cover. Shares are up 2.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Philip Morris International as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins and increase in stock price during the past year. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for PHILIP MORRIS INTERNATIONAL is rather high; currently it is at 68.41%. Regardless of PM's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, PM's net profit margin of 27.10% compares favorably to the industry average.
- PM, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 8.8%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- In its most recent trading session, PM has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Tobacco industry. The net income has decreased by 11.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $2,125.00 million to $1,875.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $715.00 million or 47.54% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full Philip Morris International Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.