NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Nabors Industries
(NBR) shares are spiking, up 7.8% to $29.43, on Thursday following reports that the land drilling contractor is set to merge with C&J Energy Services
(CJES) in a $2.86 billion deal.
The deal involves Nabor Industries oil and gas wells in the U.S. and Canada.
C&J Energy Services shares are up 1.5% to $33.30 in early market trading today.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD (NBR) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 11.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 142.26% to $444.56 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 49.55%.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, NBR's share price has jumped by 69.40%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- NBR's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.63 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that NBR's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 1.52 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD's earnings per share declined by 48.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD reported lower earnings of $0.49 versus $0.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.16 versus $0.49).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NBR Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV