- 66% of investors say there is room for more ETFs on the market today
- 71% are confident in their ability to pick an ETF that’s right for them, yet nearly 40% still want a better understanding of how to choose and use the products
- Investors’ understanding of ETFs is improving: 40% of investors say they know more now than a year ago
- 40% of investors today consider themselves ETF “novices” vs. 45% in 2013
- 20% of ETF owners say ETFs make up at least a quarter of their total investments
Even with a perceived proliferation of ETFs on the market today, two-thirds (66 percent) of investors say there is room for more, according to a new study by Charles Schwab. Among them, nearly 60 percent say more ETFs will lead to increased competition and lower prices, and that continued product innovation is necessary to keep up with a changing market and economy. More than a quarter (28 percent) say that more product choice is the industry trend that has most benefited investors in the past few years.
The 2014 ETF Investor Study by Charles Schwab is the fourth installment of an annual online survey of more than 1,000 individual investors between the ages of 25-75 with at least $25,000 in investable assets who have purchased ETFs in the past two years or are considering doing so in the near term.
The study found that seven out of ten investors say they are confident in their ability to choose an ETF that is right for their investment objectives. Yet, even as investors are embracing choice, a surprising 38 percent of investors say they want a better understanding of how to choose an ETF. Thirty-nine percent would like to better understand how to best use ETFs in their portfolio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV