NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Shares of Herman Miller Inc. (MLHR - Get Report) are lower by -3.72% to $30.50 in after-hours trading on Wednesday after the company reported a decrease in net earnings to 28 cents per diluted share for the 2014 fourth quarter, compared to 40 cents per diluted share for the same period in 2013.
The company, which designs, manufactures, and distributes interior furnishings for use in various environments, reported a diluted loss per share of -37 cents for the 2014 fiscal year versus earnings of $1.16 per diluted share for fiscal 2013.
However, net sales for the 2014 fourth quarter increased 6% to $487.5 million, compared to the 2013 fourth quarter. Net sales for fiscal 2014 increased 6% to $1.8 billion over the 2013 fiscal year.
- MLHR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- 38.08% is the gross profit margin for MILLER (HERMAN) INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 4.25% trails the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.69, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.78 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- The stock price has risen over the past year, but, despite its earnings growth and some other positive factors, it has underperformed the S&P 500 so far. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- MILLER (HERMAN) INC has improved earnings per share by 17.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MILLER (HERMAN) INC reported lower earnings of $1.16 versus $1.29 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.64 versus $1.16).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MLHR Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts