3 Stocks Pushing The Services Sector Lower
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The Services sector as a whole closed the day up 0.7% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.5%. Laggards within the Services sector included Taitron Components (TAIT), down 2.7%, Birks Group (BGI), down 1.7%, Universal Security Instruments (UUU), down 1.5%, Alon Blue Square Israel (BSI), down 1.8% and Radio One (ROIA), down 2.3%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today:Prestige Brands Holdings (PBH) is one of the companies that pushed the Services sector lower today. Prestige Brands Holdings was down $1.00 (2.8%) to $34.29 on light volume. Throughout the day, 183,167 shares of Prestige Brands Holdings exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 360,900 shares. The stock ranged in price between $34.26-$35.33 after having opened the day at $35.17 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $35.29. Prestige Brands Holdings, Inc., through its subsidiaries, is engaged in the marketing, sale, and distribution of over-the-counter (OTC) healthcare and household cleaning products in North America and internationally. Prestige Brands Holdings has a market cap of $1.8 billion and is part of the wholesale industry. Shares are down 1.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are 2 analysts who rate Prestige Brands Holdings a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Prestige Brands Holdings as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels, increase in stock price during the past year and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on PBH go as follows:
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- PRESTIGE BRANDS HOLDINGS's earnings per share declined by 18.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PRESTIGE BRANDS HOLDINGS increased its bottom line by earning $1.39 versus $1.28 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.80 versus $1.39).
- The gross profit margin for PRESTIGE BRANDS HOLDINGS is rather high; currently it is at 55.48%. Regardless of PBH's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 11.09% trails the industry average.
- PBH, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 5.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.6%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV