Monsanto Climbs on Bullish Outlook and $10 Billion Buyback Plan
Shares of Monsanto are soaring on Wednesday after the world's largest seed company reported a 6% drop in quarterly profit but issued a bullish fiscal-year outlook.Monsanto said it earned $858 million, or $1.62 a share, in the third quarter, down from a year ago but still topping analyst expectations of $1.56 a share, according to Thomson Reuters. The company also raised the low end of its full-year earnings outlook to $5.10 a share from $5 a share. Monsanto, which said it plans to double earnings over the next five years, also announced a $10 billion share buyback plan. In a research note, Morgan Stanley analyst Vincent Andrews wrote, "The announcement of significant balance sheet optimization" should lead to share price out-performance both today and going forward.
"While the opportunity today is not as robust as it was when the stock traded at $48, it should still be a substantial creator of shareholder value." Andrews calls Monsanto "the most visible and attractive long-term growth story across the Chemicals sector." He has an Overweight rating on the stock. At last check, shares of Monsanto were climbing more than 5% to $126.77. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. -- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV