NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Syngenta (SYT) shares are down -1.6% to $75.73 on Wednesday following reports that the Swiss company has rejected acquisition inquiries from American rival, and largest seed maker in the world, Monsanto (MON).
The two agribusiness giants were in acquisition talks for a reported $34 billion according to a Reuters report. The deal would have moved Monsanto's tax base out of the U.S. to more tax friendly Switzerland.
Syngenta's management are in opposition to the deal, sources told Bloomberg.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV