What To Hold: 3 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks HR, PDM, AEO
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Healthcare Realty (NYSE: HR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.70%. Healthcare Realty Trust Incorporated is an independent real estate investment trust. The firm invests in real estate markets of the United States. The average volume for Healthcare Realty has been 536,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Healthcare Realty has a market cap of $2.5 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 18.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Healthcare Realty as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- HR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 485.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1.00 million to $3.85 million.
- HEALTHCARE REALTY TRUST INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HEALTHCARE REALTY TRUST INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.15 versus $0.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.34 versus -$0.15).
- The gross profit margin for HEALTHCARE REALTY TRUST INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 27.88%. Regardless of HR's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HR's net profit margin of 4.18% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, HEALTHCARE REALTY TRUST INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Healthcare Realty Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts