NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Barnes & Noble (BKS) stock is popping on Wednesday after the company announced the separation of its retail segment from its Nook Media business. The books retailer said the board had authorized the spinoff with the view of optimizing shareholder value.
The spinoff is expected to reach completion by the end of the first quarter of 2015.
"We believe we are now in a better position to begin in earnest those steps necessary to accomplish a separation of NOOK Media and Barnes & Noble Retail. We have determined that these businesses will have the best chance of optimizing shareholder value if they are capitalized and operated separately," said CEO Michael Huseby in a statement.Guggenheim Securities has been enlisted as financial advisor, while Cravath, Swaine & Moore is acting as legal counsel. By late afternoon, shares had added 6.4% to $21.87. Trading volume of 3 million shares was triple its three-month daily average. Must read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. BKS Price data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV