NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of AbbVie Inc. (ABBV) are up 3.53% to $55.48 after the pharmaceuticals company presented its strategic rationale for acquiring Shire Plc (SHPG) today as a fight for control of the specialty biopharmaceutical took a new turn after it had rejected AbbVie's $46 billion offer, Reuters reports.
Shares of Shire are up 2.71% to $229.32 in heavy trading volume.
AbbVie called for talks and said it was willing to move quickly to clinch a deal, arguing it would create more value from Shire's assets than the hyperactivity and rare diseases specialist could do on its own, Reuters said.
TheStreet Ratings team rates ABBVIE INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate ABBVIE INC (ABBV) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, revenue growth and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including weak operating cash flow and generally higher debt management risk." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, ABBVIE INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- ABBVIE INC's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, ABBVIE INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.56 versus $0.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.13 versus $2.56).
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.07 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, ABBV has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 2.20, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $624.00 million or 47.43% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ABBV Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV