DETROIT (TheStreet) -- For the final act in the career of superstar CEO Alan Mulally, Ford (F) unveiled a truly global 2015 Edge and will launch the U.S.-inspired mid-sized crossover sport utility vehicle into the global markets.
It is one more tribute to Mulally's OneFord concept, which will live forever not only in the plastic wallet cards that Mulally inspired but also in practice that markets vehicles globally, upending the Ford fiefdoms of the past and also reducing the number of Ford's global platforms to nine by 2017, down from 15 today.
The 2015 Ford Edge was unveiled simultaneously on Tuesday in both Detroit and Europe. It will go on sale early in 2015 and will be sold in more than 100 markets. Mulally will step down as CEO July 1.
Edge was introduced in 2006, just as Mulally arrived at Ford. The timing was good. The crossover market sport utility vehicle segment, using a car-based design rather than a truck-based design, has become the fastest-growing sector of the U.S. auto market.
At midday on Wednesday, Ford shares were trading up 21 cents to $17.18 while GM (GM) shares were up 31 cents to $36.89. Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
To contact this writer, click here.
Flying Between U.S. and China Is Booming -- Too Bad It's Not Profitable
United Pilots: We Flew to Chengdu on a Boeing 787 and Loved It
United Leads in China But American and Delta Want Bigger Shares
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV