NEW YORK, June 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, RateWatch, a premier banking data and analytics service owned by TheStreet, Inc. (NASDAQ: TST) released the results from of a new survey: Auto Lending: Today's Customer. The data shows how consumers are thinking about car loans and what factors impact how they buy and finance a vehicle.
The survey found that many consumers overlook or are not interested in refinancing their auto loans:
- 27% of respondents did not know that refinancing their auto loan was an option.
- 59% of respondents knew that refinancing was an option but chose not to refinance.
- Those ages 30-44 were most likely to be aware of auto refinancing options, but only 20% had taken advantage of them.
- Those who have owned their vehicle for 5 or more years were most likely to have known refinancing was an option and follow through with a refinance. More than half of those who have owned their vehicles for less than 5 years were not aware refinancing was an option.
"Auto-loan refinancing tends to be somewhat uncommon and it's unfortunate since consumers can save thousands of dollars in the course of paying off their loan," said Ross Kenneth Urken, Personal Finance Editor for TheStreet. "It's a technique more consumers need to recognize as beneficial to their finances."
The survey also revealed that consumers are paying off their loans with varying interest rates:
- Those who have owned their vehicle for 2 through less than 5 years are most likely to have an interest rate of 2% to less than 3%.
- The percentage of respondents paying an interest rate between 1% and 2% is the same as the percentage of respondents paying an interest rate of 8% or greater, demonstrating the large range of available rates.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts