NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Better-than-expected May sales of news homes, which were reported on Tuesday, set the earnings table for Lennar (LEN) before the opening bell on Thursday and for KB Home (KBH) before the opening bell on Friday.
Six other companies reporting before the end of the week have a consumer flavor, from home goods to food products, seasonings to office furniture and sneakers to recreational vehicles. The earnings reports put the focus on consumers following the Conference Board's release of consumer confidence on Tuesday, which showed a rise to 85.2 in June.
According the Commerce Department, new-home sales in May rose to an annual rate of 504,000, much stronger than expected, although the sales represent just 10% of U.S. home buying as home sales involve existing homes.
And although consumer confidence may be at its highest level in five years, it remains below its neutral range of 90 to 110 last seen in 2007.The consumer is the key to the economic recovery, and so the quarterly results reported by the eight companies profiled today will be an important gauge. Here are the eight profiles and two "crunching the numbers" tables follow. Bed, Bath & Beyond (BBBY) ($60.64) is down 25% year to date. Analysts expect the retailer to report earnings per share of 95 cents after the closing bell on Wednesday. The stock traded as low as $59.89 on June 20, and has been below its 200-day simple moving average at $69.87 since Jan. 9. The weekly chart is negative but oversold with its five-week modified moving average at $61.57 and its 200-week SMA at $61.46. Monthly and annual value levels are $56.98 and $51.50, respectively, with a weekly pivot at $60.08, and annual and quarterly risky levels at $64.99 and $72.27, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV